EWMA Study Recommendations
Project period: 2013–2014
In 2014 EWMA published the document "EWMA study recommendations - for clinical investigations in leg ulcers and wound care"
This was the outcome of discussions in the the EWMA Patient Outcome Group and the work of a sub group responsible for the publication. The aim of this work was to provide a series of user-friendly documents to assist those new to wound care research in starting on the path to plan, conduct, interpret and disseminate findings from an investigation.
With these publications, EWMA aims to support more investigations that will improve our understanding of clinical wound healing and raise the evidence level of the work undertaken. EWMA decided to limit the first of these to venous leg ulcers.
The second publication was published by the International Working Group of the Diabetic Foot (IWGDF) in collaboration with EWMA i September 2016: "Reporting standards of studies and papers on the prevention and management of foot ulcers in diabetes: required details and markers of good quality"
EWMA Study Recommendations - For clinical investigations in leg ulcers and wound care
The document can be downloaded free of charge here.
You can read more about the document in the October 2014 edition of the EWMA Journal here.
- Patricia Price, B.A. (Hons), Ph.D., A.F.B.Ps.S, C.H. Psychol, Professor, Pro Vice Chancellor, Student Experience and academic standards, Pro Vice Chancellor's Office, Cardiff University, UK
- Finn Gottrup, MD, DMSci, Professor of Surgery, Copenhagen Wound Healing Centre, Bispebjerg University Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
- Martin Abel, Dr rer nat, Head of medical & regulatory Affairs, Lohmann & Rauscher GmbH & Co KG, Regnsdorf, Germany
Recomendações ewma estudos de investigação - investigação clínica sobre úlceras de perna e tratamento de feridas (Translated by GAIF and CEISUC)
Translated document summaries
Reporting standards of studies and papers on the prevention and management of foot ulcers in diabetes: required details and markers of good quality
The article can be downloaded free of charge here
On behalf of the International Working Group on the Diabetic Foot and the European Wound Management Association:
- William J Jeffcoate, Foot Ulcer Trials Unit, Department of Diabetes and Endocrinology, Nottingham University Hospitals Trust, Nottingham, UK (Prof, MRCP)
- Sicco A Bus, Academic Medical Centre, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, Netherlands (PhD)
- Frances L Game, Derby Teaching Hospitals, National Health Service Foundation Trust, Derby, UK (Prof, FRCP)
- Robert J Hinchliffe, St George’s Vascular Unit, St George’s Hospital, London, UK & Department of Vascular Surgery, University of Bristol and Bristol Royal Infirmary, Bristol, UK (Prof, MD)
- Patricia E Price, Vice-Chancellors’ Office, Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK (Prof, PhD)
- Nicolaas C Schaper, Maastricht University Medical Centre, Maastricht, Netherlands (Prof, MD)