PhD, RGN, FFNM RCSI, HE Dip wound care, Dip Anatomy, Dip Applied Physiology.
Programme Director/ Research Co-Ordinator/ lecturer
Summary professional profile
- Experience at all levels in the specialism of wound care including, research, teaching, guideline development, national and international council memberships.
- Specialist interests include wound management, diabetic foot disease and palliative wound care, evidence based practice.
- Good record of research practice as principal investigator, chief investigator, project manager and grant funding.
- Excellent communication skills with a track record of planning, organisation, project management and an ability to lead, set and achieve goals, strategic planning and creative thinking.
- Demonstrated success as an educator and supervisor with PhD and MSc students.
Academic education & Training
- Teaching Evidence Based Medicine, Oxford University, September 2011
- Medical Biostatistics, NUI Galway, June 2010.
- Cochrane systematic reviews, January 2010.
- Protocol Development for a Cochrane Review, Dublin, 2009.
- Fellow of Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery, RCSI, 2008.
- PhD, Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery, RCSI, 2007
- Statistics in Clinical Trials, University of York, 2005.
- Clinical Trials Management, University of York, 2004.
- Introduction to ICH GCP, Scope Education Services, 2003.
- Advanced ICH GCP, Scope Education Services, 2003.
- Introduction to Research, University of Ulster, May 2002.
- Action Learning Management Development Programme, North Western Health Board and Brighton University, 2002.
- Training for Trainers, I.P.A 2000.
- Diploma in Physiology, Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery, RCSI, 1992.
- Diploma in Anatomy, Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery, RCSI, 1991.
- Registered with An Bord Altranais. Certificate in general nursing (honours) 1984.
Previous employments & professional experience
- March 2013 - present: Senior Lecturer, School of Nursing and Midwifery, National University of Ireland, Galway
- October 2007 - February 2013: Research Co-ordinator / Lecturer/ Programme Director
- Centre for Nursing and Midwifery Research, Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery, RCSI
- October 2004 –September 2007: HRB Research, fellow – clinical nursing and midwifery, Health Research Board of Ireland and Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery, RCSI
- June 1998 – October 2004: Clinical Nurse Specialist, Tissue Viability, Sligo General Hospital
- June 1984 – November 1986, Feb 1988 – October 1990, April 1993 – May 1998:
- Staff nurse, Sligo General Hospital
- Nov 1990 – March 1993: Clinical tutor, School of Nursing, Sligo General Hospital
- Nov 1986 – Dec 1987: Staff Nurse, Chandler General Hospital, Savannah, GA, USA
- 1981 – 1984: Student Nurse, Sligo General Hospital
Honours and Awards:
- October 2011. Winner Brendan Devlin Prize, Waterford October Surgical Meeting (team award).
- June 2008. Excellence in Research – Highly Commended Award, Wounds UK.
- October 2007. Prize winner at National Conference of Wound Management Association of Ireland.
- April 2007. Highly commended. Comparative study of acetate tracings and digital planimetry in wound measurement. Research Day, RCSI.
- June 2007.Innovation in clinical practice – Highly Commended Award, Wounds UK.
- May 2004. Health Research Board Clinical Fellowship in Nursing and Midwifery €163,000.
- April 2004. Excellence in Practice, Education, Research and Management Awards, Nursing and Midwifery Practice Development Unit, NWHB.
- September 2003. Smith + Nephew education bursary.
- May 2003. €10,000 Research grant European Wound Management Association
- February 2002. €2,250. Research seedling grant Research and Education Foundation, Sligo General Hospital.
Academic Programme Director:
- Doctorate in Nursing/Midwifery Practice (International)
- Wound Management
- Research Methods
- Developing Practice
Over €1,000,000 research funding as PI or Co-Applicant
Current Research Activity:
- "Mapping of wound pH as a predictor of healing status", Role: Principal Investigator, Collaborators: Complex wound clinic team and Department of Podiatry in NUI Galway
- "Developing guidelines and education tools for management of malignant fungating wounds in palliative care", Role: Co-investigator, Collaborators: Dr. S. Probst, Switzerland, Dr. P. Grocott, London, European Oncology Nurses Society
- "Current management of malodour in chronic and palliative care wounds", Role: Principal investigator, Collaborators: Dr. S. Probst, Switzerland, Dr. P. Grocott, London
- "HRB Funded National study of day surgery in Ireland", Role: Chief investigator. Project manager, Collaborators: Prof. S. Cowman, Mr. E. Clarke [RCSI]; Prof. M. Wiley, Dr. A. Brick [ESRI]; Prof. T. Walshe [Connolly Hospital].
- "Debridement of Venous leg ulcers – a Cochrane Review", Role: Principal investigator, Collaborators: Prof. S. Cowman, RCSI, Dr. D. Kolbach, Belgium
- Council member of European Wound Management Association 2012-present
- EWMA representative on World Alliance for Wound and Lymphoedema care
- Council member International Wound Infection Institute 2012-present
- Member of Department of Health National steering group for Key Performance Indicators for nursing practice 2012.
- Member HSE national wound care programme for nursing and midwifery 2011-2012.
- Chairperson scientific committee of Bi-Annual Conference of Wound Management Association of Ireland 2009,2011.
- National Chairperson of HSE Procurement Programme for wound management products 2012
- International working group to develop guidelines for management of malignant fungating lesions [supported by European Oncology Nurses Association] 2012-present.
- International working group for research in palliative care wounds 2012-present.
- Member of National surgical nursing advisory group 2011.
- National treasurer of Wound Management Association of Ireland 2009-2013.
- President Wound Management Association of Ireland, 2007-2011.
- Treasurer for Western region of Wound Management Association of Ireland 2009-2013.
- Atlantic Accord Diabetes Research Group 2010-2012.
- National Council for Nursing and Midwifery, Irish Nursing Minimum Data set project team member 2010
- Member of Cochrane Wounds Group 2009-present.
- Co-operating organisations board member of European Wound Management Association
- Member of Tissue Viability Nurses Association of Ireland 2009-2012
- RCSI Wounds Research Group 2010-2012.
- Lead researcher and member of HSE National Wound Management Guidelines Group 2009.
- Best Practice Statements in wound care group in association with Wounds UK 2009.
Peer-Reviewer and Editorial Board Membership:
- Journal of Clinical Nursing
- International Wound Journal
- BMC Dermatology
- BMC Alternative and Complimentary Therapy
- Journal of Wound Care 2010-present
- Evidence Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine.
- Evidence Based Nursing.
- Japan Journal of Nursing Science.
- Wounds UK 2009-2013.
- McMaster University on-line rating of evidence 2011-present.
- Editorial board advisory member for Wounds UK 2009-2013.
- Editorial board advisory member for Journal of Wound Care 2010- present.
- Editorial Board advisory member for British Journal of Community Nursing 2012-present
Research Grant Reviews:
- British Skin Foundation
- Technology Foundation STW, a Dutch funding agency for academic research in the field of applied sciences. Confidential grant reviews.
- German Health Research Programme; German Federal Ministry of Education and Research. Reviewer for two grant applications – confidential reports.
- Wound Management Association of Ireland. Grant applications.
- Registered as grant reviewer for FP7 EU grant scheme.
List of publications