EWMA Focus Sessions
The 2018 focus sessions are:
- Title of presentation: How to improve adherence to health regimens?
Session: Haven’t every wound care patient good adherence with health regimens?
Objectives: To define the term adherence with health regimens and its measurements related to wound care patients, how to support to have good adherence and to derive interventions for my own clinical practice.
Speaker: Helvi Kyngäs, Finland
- Title of presentation: Pain in wounds
- Title of presentation: Atypical wounds - what is your diagnosis?
- Title of presentation: Angiology
- Title of presentation: Biofilm and wounds
- Title of presentation: Wounds Across the Life Span (EWMA document)
There is currently a paucity of literature that has examined the nature of wounds and the prevalence of wounds across the lifespan. For this reason, EWMA has defined neonatal/paediatric and geriatric wound management as a focus area. One of the planned activities is to publish two documents that outline the pathophysiology and recommended organisation of wound healing as it applies to these specific age groups.
The objectives of these documents will be:
- To review existing literature on the prevalence and aetiology of wounds in children, defined as infants and children until the age of adolescence, and the elderly population, defined as individuals over the age of 75 (geriatric patients), with the objective to provide an estimate of these.
- To describe how age influences wound healing from a physiological and psychological perspective.
- Describe and highlight the challenges related to specific age groups, e.g. aspects of wound prevention and treatment that may typically be neglected in the management of specific age groups.
- To present strategies that may enhance wound healing and improve the health related quality of life in these age groups.
- To address specific organisational and cost issues related to these two patient groups, with a focus on defining cost effective strategies to ensure that these two patient groups are treated by experts in wound management (e.g. strategies for providing expert wound care in home care and paediatric care units of the hospitals).
The session will present these age specific considerations and challenges related to the organisation of wound management.