Dr. Georgina Gethin, Council member
PhD, RGN, FFNM RCSI, HE Dip wound care, Dip Anatomy, Dip Applied Physiology.
Programme Director/ Research Co-Ordinator/ lecturer
Summary professional profile
- Experience at all levels in the specialism of wound care including, research, teaching, guideline development, national and international council memberships.
- Specialist interests include wound management, diabetic foot disease and palliative wound care, evidence based practice.
- Good record of research practice as principal investigator, chief investigator, project manager and grant funding.
- Excellent communication skills with a track record of planning, organisation, project management and an ability to lead, set and achieve goals, strategic planning and creative thinking.
- Demonstrated success as an educator and supervisor with PhD and MSc students.
Academic education & Training
- Teaching Evidence Based Medicine, Oxford University, September 2011
- Medical Biostatistics, NUI Galway, June 2010.
- Cochrane systematic reviews, January 2010.
- Protocol Development for a Cochrane Review, Dublin, 2009.
- Fellow of Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery, RCSI, 2008.
- PhD, Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery, RCSI, 2007
- Statistics in Clinical Trials, University of York, 2005.
- Clinical Trials Management, University of York, 2004.
- Introduction to ICH GCP, Scope Education Services, 2003.
- Advanced ICH GCP, Scope Education Services, 2003.
- Introduction to Research, University of Ulster, May 2002.
- Action Learning Management Development Programme, North Western Health Board and Brighton University, 2002.
- Training for Trainers, I.P.A 2000.
- Diploma in Physiology, Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery, RCSI, 1992.
- Diploma in Anatomy, Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery, RCSI, 1991.
- Registered with An Bord Altranais. Certificate in general nursing (honours) 1984.
Previous employments & professional experience
- March 2013 - present: Senior Lecturer, School of Nursing and Midwifery, National University of Ireland, Galway
- October 2007 - February 2013: Research Co-ordinator / Lecturer/ Programme Director
- Centre for Nursing and Midwifery Research, Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery, RCSI
- October 2004 –September 2007: HRB Research, fellow – clinical nursing and midwifery, Health Research Board of Ireland and Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery, RCSI
- June 1998 – October 2004: Clinical Nurse Specialist, Tissue Viability, Sligo General Hospital
- June 1984 – November 1986, Feb 1988 – October 1990, April 1993 – May 1998:
- Staff nurse, Sligo General Hospital
- Nov 1990 – March 1993: Clinical tutor, School of Nursing, Sligo General Hospital
- Nov 1986 – Dec 1987: Staff Nurse, Chandler General Hospital, Savannah, GA, USA
- 1981 – 1984: Student Nurse, Sligo General Hospital
Honours and Awards:
- October 2011. Winner Brendan Devlin Prize, Waterford October Surgical Meeting (team award).
- June 2008. Excellence in Research – Highly Commended Award, Wounds UK.
- October 2007. Prize winner at National Conference of Wound Management Association of Ireland.
- April 2007. Highly commended. Comparative study of acetate tracings and digital planimetry in wound measurement. Research Day, RCSI.
- June 2007.Innovation in clinical practice – Highly Commended Award, Wounds UK.
- May 2004. Health Research Board Clinical Fellowship in Nursing and Midwifery €163,000.
- April 2004. Excellence in Practice, Education, Research and Management Awards, Nursing and Midwifery Practice Development Unit, NWHB.
- September 2003. Smith + Nephew education bursary.
- May 2003. €10,000 Research grant European Wound Management Association
- February 2002. €2,250. Research seedling grant Research and Education Foundation, Sligo General Hospital.
Academic Programme Director:
- Doctorate in Nursing/Midwifery Practice (International)
- Wound Management
- Research Methods
- Developing Practice
Over €1,000,000 research funding as PI or Co-Applicant
Current Research Activity
- "Mapping of wound pH as a predictor of healing status", Role: Principal Investigator, Collaborators: Complex wound clinic team and Department of Podiatry in NUI Galway
- "Developing guidelines and education tools for management of malignant fungating wounds in palliative care", Role: Co-investigator, Collaborators: Dr. S. Probst, Switzerland, Dr. P. Grocott, London, European Oncology Nurses Society
- "Current management of malodour in chronic and palliative care wounds", Role: Principal investigator, Collaborators: Dr. S. Probst, Switzerland, Dr. P. Grocott, London
- "HRB Funded National study of day surgery in Ireland", Role: Chief investigator. Project manager, Collaborators: Prof. S. Cowman, Mr. E. Clarke [RCSI]; Prof. M. Wiley, Dr. A. Brick [ESRI]; Prof. T. Walshe [Connolly Hospital].
- "Debridement of Venous leg ulcers – a Cochrane Review", Role: Principal investigator, Collaborators: Prof. S. Cowman, RCSI, Dr. D. Kolbach, Belgium
- Council member of European Wound Management Association 2012-present
- EWMA representative on World Alliance for Wound and Lymphoedema care
- Council member International Wound Infection Institute 2012-present
- Member of Department of Health National steering group for Key Performance Indicators for nursing practice 2012.
- Member HSE national wound care programme for nursing and midwifery 2011-2012.
- Chairperson scientific committee of Bi-Annual Conference of Wound Management Association of Ireland 2009,2011.
- National Chairperson of HSE Procurement Programme for wound management products 2012
- International working group to develop guidelines for management of malignant fungating lesions [supported by European Oncology Nurses Association] 2012-present.
- International working group for research in palliative care wounds 2012-present.
- Member of National surgical nursing advisory group 2011.
- National treasurer of Wound Management Association of Ireland 2009-2013.
- President Wound Management Association of Ireland, 2007-2011.
- Treasurer for Western region of Wound Management Association of Ireland 2009-2013.
- Atlantic Accord Diabetes Research Group 2010-2012.
- National Council for Nursing and Midwifery, Irish Nursing Minimum Data set project team member 2010
- Member of Cochrane Wounds Group 2009-present.
- Co-operating organisations board member of European Wound Management Association
- Member of Tissue Viability Nurses Association of Ireland 2009-2012
- RCSI Wounds Research Group 2010-2012.
- Lead researcher and member of HSE National Wound Management Guidelines Group 2009.
- Best Practice Statements in wound care group in association with Wounds UK 2009.
Peer-Reviewer and Editorial Board Membership:
- Journal of Clinical Nursing
- International Wound Journal
- BMC Dermatology
- BMC Alternative and Complimentary Therapy
- Journal of Wound Care 2010-present
- Evidence Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine.
- Evidence Based Nursing.
- Japan Journal of Nursing Science.
- Wounds UK 2009-2013.
- McMaster University on-line rating of evidence 2011-present.
- Editorial board advisory member for Wounds UK 2009-2013.
- Editorial board advisory member for Journal of Wound Care 2010- present.
- Editorial Board advisory member for British Journal of Community Nursing 2012-present
Research Grant Reviews:
- British Skin Foundation
- Technology Foundation STW, a Dutch funding agency for academic research in the field of applied sciences. Confidential grant reviews.
- German Health Research Programme; German Federal Ministry of Education and Research. Reviewer for two grant applications – confidential reports.
- Wound Management Association of Ireland. Grant applications.
- Registered as grant reviewer for FP7 EU grant scheme.
- Describing the role of the nurse in radiation oncology. RCSI, 2011
- Evaluation of ePortfolio in nursing and midwifery education, RCSI, 2011 .[data analysis, report writing, editing and formatting].
- Evaluation of blended learning in nurse education in Ireland, RCSI, 2010.[data analysis, report writing, editing and formatting]
- Role of CNS in cancer care, St Luke’s Hospital, Dublin, 2010.[project co-ordinator, protocol design, data collection, data analysis, report writing, presentation of findings].
- First 5-year research strategy for nursing and midwifery in RCSI, 2010.[development of report]
- Research annual report for nursing and midwifery in RCSI, 2010.[development of report]
- HSE Best practice guidelines for wound management in Ireland, 2009.[lead researcher and project manager]
- HSE West: confidential review of individual patient case notes (two reports ) 2010.
- Expert witness –Arthur Cox solicitors on behalf of an Bord Altranais fitness to practice committee – confidential report.
National (since 2008)
- What is a chronic wound, 1st April 2013, Wound Care Conference Galway
- Palliative wound care and the concept of skin failure, plenary, 3rd October 2013. Conference of Wound Management Association of Ireland, Cork.
- National Guidelines on Wound Care. Plenary, 10th May 2012. The Dynamics of Quality Care, Royal Hospital Donnybrook, Dublin.
- Wound Bed Assessment. Plenary. 10th March 2012. Diabetic Foot Conference, NUI Galway.
- International survey of management of wound malodour. 23rd February 2012, International Nursing and Midwifery Research and Education Conference, RCSI, Dublin, Ireland.
- Evaluation of the role of the Nurse in Radiation Oncology. 23rd February 2012, International Nursing and Midwifery Research and Education Conference, RCSI, Dublin, Ireland.
- Prevalence of lymphoedema among persons with diabetic foot disease. 23rd February 2012, International Nursing and Midwifery Research and Education Conference, RCSI, Dublin, Ireland.
- Wound care in a changing economic environment. 24th November Letterkenny General Hospital Wound Formulary Launch, Key note lecture. 2011
- Can surface pH monitoring aid in wound diagnostics. 15th anniversary conference of Wound Management Association of Ireland, Galway, October 2011.
- Wound bed Preparation – the relevance to clinical practice. Lower extremity Wounds Conference, September 9th Galway 2010. Hosted by Department of Podiatry, NUI Galway.
- Pilot study of prevalence of lymphoedema in acute hospital setting. Lymphoedema Conference, Dublin.
- Also, Annual Nursing and Midwifery Research Conference, RCSI, February 2010
- DICE guideline project. Conference of National Council for Nursing and Midwifery in Ireland, November 2009.
- Research and Education Priorities in Wound Management and Tissue Repair. Research Day, RCSI, April 2009 and 10th national conference of wound management association of Ireland.
- Debridement of venous ulcers, Cochrane in Ireland conference, January 2010.
- Lived experience of community nurses caring for clients with leg ulceration. 10th national conference of wound management association of Ireland, October 2009.
- Incidence of lymphoedema among patients attending vascular and wound care services in an acute hospital – a pilot study, 10th national conference of wound management association of Ireland, October 2009.
- Advancing Practice in Wound Management. RCSI Wound Management Master Class, June 2009.
- National Wound Management Guidelines. 10th National Conference of Wound Management Association of Ireland, October 2009.
- Guidelines for management of diabetic foot. Western Branch of Wound Management Association of Ireland, University College Galway April 2009.
- Advancing Practice in Wound Management. RCSI Wound Management Master Class, June 2009.
- National Wound Management Guidelines. 10th National Conference of Wound Management Association of Ireland, October 2009.
- Guidelines for management of diabetic foot. Western Branch of Wound Management Association of Ireland, NUI Galway April 2009.
- The use of Manuka honey in venous ulceration. The Catherine McAuley School of Nursing and Midwifery Nursing and Midwifery Research Conference, University College Cork, October 2008.
- Review of Evidence for use of honey in wound management. Trauma and rehabilitation Recognized Research Group. February 2008, Belfast.
- Use of honey in management of venous leg ulcers. National Conference of Leg Ulcer Forum of Ireland, Athlone, April 2008.
- Can pH monitoring aid wound bed assessment? Western Vascular Institute annual Conference, Galway, May 2008.
- Influence of Manuka honey on surface pH, MMP-2, MMP-9 and wound size of chronic wounds. Research Day RCSI, April 2008.
- The challenges of a changing wound environment – understanding wound pH. Evening symposium for public health nurses; Galway, November 2007 & May 2008.
- Understanding diabetic foot ulceration. Evening symposium for health care professionals; Dublin, September 2007; Portlaoise, February 2008; Galway, June 2008
- Making a difference through research, RCSI Master Class, June 2008.
International (since 2008):
- What is best practice in homecare wound care. Key Session. EWMA conference, Madrid, Spain, May 2014.
- Patient rights in wound management. Key Session. EWMA conference, Madrid, Spain, May 2014.
- pH as a potential diagnostic in wound healing, Plenary, SIRTUS, Pisa, Italy, October 2013.
- Symptom Management in palliative wound. Conference of European Wound Management Association, Copenhagen, May 2013.
- Prevalence of lymphoedema among persons with diabetic foot disease, Conference of European Wound Management Association, Vienna, May 2012.
- International survey of current practice in management of wound malodour, SAWC Conference, Atlanta, Georgia, May 2012 and Conference of European Wound Management Association, Vienna, May 2012.
- Potential of pH measurement as a diagnostic marker in wound management. Conference of European Wound Management Association, Brussels, May 2011 (Plenary).
- Role of wound care organisations in guideline dissemination, 15th November 2010, Wounds UK Conference, Harrogate, UK.
- Survey of efficacy of wound management organisations in dissemination of clinical practice guidelines. International nursing and midwifery research conference, RCSI, February 2010.
- Odour management strategies in palliative wound care. Palliative wound care conference, Manchester, June 2010 (plenary).
- Implementing Clinical Guidelines. Journal of Wound Care Conference, London, 3rd March 2010 (plenary).
- Epidemiology of Lymphoedema in Ireland (pilot study data), Conference of European Wound Management Association, Geneva, May 2010.
- National survey of the provision of day surgery in Ireland. International Society for Quality in Healthcare, Conference, Dublin October 2009.
- Lived experience of community nurses caring for clients with leg ulceration. Conference of European Wound Management Association, Helsinki, May 2009.
- Manuka honey vs Hydrogel, Conference of European Wound Management Association, Lisbon, 2008.
- Manuka Honey vs Hydrogel, World Union of Wound Healing Societies, Toronto, Canada, June 2008.
- Influence of Manuka honey on surface pH, MMP-2, MMP-9 and wound size of chronic wounds. European Wound Management Association Conference, Lisbon, Portugal, May 2008.The Role of honey in wound management using the TIME framework. Advances in Skin and Wound care conference, Salt Lake City, USA, November 2007.
- The role of honey in wound management using the TIME framework. Wound Ostomy and Continence Nurses Association Conference, Nashville, USA, October 2007.
- Manuka Honey vs Hydrogel, Wounds UK Conference, Harrogate, November 2007.
- Gethin, G., Grocott, P., Probst, S. & Clarke, E. (2014) Current practice in the management of wound odour: an International Survey, International Journal of Nursing Studies, 51(6) 865-874.
- Graham, T., Grocott, P., Probst, S., Wanklyn, S., Dawson, J. and Gethin, G. (2013) How are topical opioids used to manage painful cutaneous lesions in palliative care? A critical review, Pain, doi. 10.1016
Gethin, G. (2012) Understanding the inflammatory process in wound healing. British Journal of Community Nursing, March, 17-22.
- Gethin, G., Byrne, D., Tierney, S., Strapp, H. and Cowman, S. (2012) Prevalence of lymphoedema and quality of life among patients attending a hospital-based wound management and vascular clinic, International Wound Journal, 9(2), 120-125.
- Cowman, S., Gethin, G., Clarke, E., Moore, Z., Craig, G., Jordan – O’Brien, J., McLain, N. & Strapp, H. (2012) An International eDelphi study identifying the research and education priorities in wound management and tissue repair Journal of Clinical Nursing 21(3), 344-353].
- Watson, C. & Gethin, G. (2012) Five years of prescribing powers, World of Irish Nursing and Midwifery, 20(2), 24-25.
- Gethin, G. (2011) Could wound pH provide a marker of wound status? Journal of Wound Care and WMAI supplement, September.
- Gethin, G. (2011) Management of malodour in palliative care. British Journal of Community Nursing, [September], S28-S36.
- Gethin, G. (2011) The Role of Antiseptics in Pressure Ulcer Management, Nursing Standard , 26(7) 53-60.
- Gethin, G. (2011) Clinical Application of Collagen and Protease Modulating Dressings, Journal of Wound Technology, 13, 10-14.
- Gethin, G., McIntosh, C. & Cundell, J. (2011) Dissemination of wound management guidelines – a national survey, Journal of Wound Care, 20(7),
- Higgins, A., Gethin, G. & Lynch, M. (2011) Prevalence of MRSA colonisation among at risk patients at admission to an Irish hospital: 2007 to 2009 inclusive International Journal of Infection Control, 7(1), 1-6.
- Higgins, A., Lynch, M. & Gethin, G. (2010) Can 'search and destroy' reduce nosocomial methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in an Irish hospital? Journal of Hospital Infection, 75(2), 120-123.
- Gethin, G. (2010) Managing wound malodour in palliative care, Wounds UK Palliative Wound Care Supplement, June, 12-15.
- Gethin, G. (2010) Managing malodour in palliative care wounds in primary care, Journal of Irish Practice Nurse [in press].
- Gethin, G. (2010) Nutrition and wound healing in the older adult, Nursing in the Community [in press].
- Gethin, G. (2010) Disseminating wound care guidelines: lessons from the literature, British Journal of Community Nursing, 15, S32-37.
- Gethin, G., Cowman, S. & Kolbach, D. (2010) Debridement for venous leg ulcers (Protocol), Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2010, 7 Art. No.: CD008599. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD008599.
- Cowman, S., Gethin, G., Mulligan, E., Ryan, K. & Meshkat, B.(2010) National survey of the provision of day surgery across public and private hospitals in Ireland, Irish Journal Of Medical Science, 179(4), 493-499.
- Sherlock, O., Dolan, A., Athman, R., Power, A., Gethin, G., Cowman, S. & Humphreys, H.(2010) Comparison of the antimicrobial activity of Ulmo honey from Chile and Manuka honey against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, Escherichia coli and Pseudomonas aeruginosa, BMC Complementary And Alternative Medicine, 10, 47.
- Gethin, G. (2010) National Wound Management Guidelines, NCNM Review, 33, 10-11.
- Gethin, G. (2010) The role of antiseptics in Pressure Ulcer Management, Journal of Wound Technology, 7(1), 12-15.
- White R, Cutting K, Ousey K, et al. Randomized controlled trial and cost-effectiveness analysis of silver-donating antimicrobial dressings for venous leg ulcers (VULCAN trial) (Br J Surg 2009; 96: 1147-1156). Br J Surg. Mar 2010;97(3):459-460; author reply 460.
- Gethin, G. (2010) Identifying the role of antiseptics in pressure ulcer management, Nursing Standard, [in press].
- Gethin, G. (2010) Understanding Research: part 5 – Mixed research approaches, Wounds UK, 6(1), 126-128.
- Gethin, G. & Clune Mulvaney, C. (2009) Understanding Research: part 4 – Qualitative research, Wounds UK, 5(4) 111-116.
- Gethin, G. (2009) Understanding Research: part 3 – Randomised controlled trials, Wounds UK, 5(2) 86-90.
- Gethin G and Cowman S. (2009) Manuka Honey vs. Hydrogel – a prospective, open label, multicentre, randomised controlled trial to compare desloughing efficacy and healing outcomes in venous ulcers. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 18(3), 466-474.
- Gethin, G. (2009) Occlusive dressings and gauze did not differ for healing open wounds in surgical patients. Evidence Based Nursing, 12(2) 52.
- Gethin, G. (2009) Understanding Research: part 2 – terminology, Wounds UK, 5(1) 88-89.
- Gethin, G. (2009) Can clinical guidelines advance wound management practice? World of Irish Nursing,
- Gethin, G. (2009) Use of the AGREE tool will improve guideline implementation. Journal of Wound Care, 18(1), 40.
- Gethin, G. (2008) Demystifying Research – understanding research design. (First of a five part series) in Wounds UK 4(4), 140-141.
- Gethin, G (2008) Editorial: A vision for Better Patient Outcomes, Wound News Ireland, kcimedical.newsweaver.ie.
- Gethin, G. (2008) Efficacy of honey as a debriding and pH modulating agent. Book Chapter in: Honey: a modern wound management product, Volume II. White, R., Cooper, R. and Molan, P. eds., Wounds UK, Aberdeen.
- Gethin, G. (2008) Honey in wound care: understanding the evidence. Nursing in Practice, September 2-4. Translated for Dutch Journal of Wound Care – December 2008.
- Gethin, G. (2008) Commentary on: Bardy, J., Slevin NJ, Mais KL and Molasoitis A, A systematic Review of honey uses and its potential value within oncology care (2008),17, 2604-2623. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 17, 2661-2666.
- Gethin, G. (2008) Long Road Ahead: Reflections on 10 years of wound care in Ireland. World of Irish Nursing. Community Nursing. September.
- Gethin, G. (2008) The Role of Surface pH Monitoring in Wound Healing: Overview of Current Evidence Base, Vascular, 16 (S2), S123.
- Gethin, G. (2008) Efficacy of honey as a desloughing agent: overview of current evidence. EWMA Journal, 8(2), 31-35.
- Gethin G, Cowman S. (2008) Bacteriological changes in sloughy venous leg ulcers treated with Manuka honey or hydrogel: an RCT. Journal of Wound Care, 17(6), 241-247.
- Gethin G, Cowman S. and Conroy R. (2008) The Impact of Manuka Honey Dressings on Surface pH of Chronic Wounds. International Wound Journal. 5(2) 185-195.
- Gethin G. (2007) Understanding the significance of surface pH in chronic wounds. Wounds UK.;3(1):33-38.
- Gethin G, Cowman S. (2007) Wound measurement: contribution to practice. EWMA Journal. January 7(1):26-28.
- Gethin G. (2007) Understanding wound pH. World of Irish Nursing - Enhancing Clinical Practice Supplement. 15(8):9-12.
- Gethin G. (2007) Healing Honey. World of Irish Nursing and Midwifery, 15(10), 22-23.
- Gethin G. (2007) Honey: a modern wound management product (Book Review). WOUNDS a compendium of clinical research and practice. September 19(9):A17.
- Gethin, G. (2007) Are we all properly qualified to prescribe wound care: commentary. Wounds UK, 3(4), 154.
- Gethin G. (2006) The importance of continuous wound measuring. Wounds UK. 2(2):60-68.
- Gethin G, Cowman S. (2006) Wound measurement comparing the use of acetate tracings and VisitrakTM digital planimetry. Journal of Clinical Nursing. 15:422-427.
- Gethin G, Cowman S. (2005) Case series of use of Manuka honey in leg ulceration. International Wound Journal. 2(1):10-15.
- Gethin, G., Jordan O-Brien, J and Moore, Z. (2005) Estimating the costs of pressure area management based on a survey of ulcer care in one Irish hospital, Journal of Wound Care, 14(4), 162-165.
- Gethin G. (2005) Can honey contribute to healing chronic wounds? Irish Practice Nurse. 7(3):14-18.
- Gethin G. (2005) Evidence base of wound measurement. Evidence based practice, World of Irish Nursing. 13(8):S 6-8.
- Gethin G. (2004) Is there enough clinical evidence to use honey to manage wounds? Journal of Wound Care. 13(7):275-278.
- Gethin G. (2002) Patient compliance and chronic wounds. Nursing Times, 98(14), 60-62.
The Quick Reference Guide on the Prevention and Treatment of...
A specialist course in wound care for physicians is held in Zürich...
EWMA has the pleasure of presenting the April 2015 issue of the...