Dr. Georgina Gethin, Council member
PhD, RGN, FFNMRCSI, HE Dip wound care, Dip Anatomy, Dip Applied Physiology.
Programme Director/ Research Co-Ordinator/ lecturer
Academic education & Training
- PhD, Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery, RCSI, 2007.
- Teaching Evidence Based Medicine, Oxford University, September 2011
- Medical Biostatistics, NUI Galway, June 2010.
- Cochrane systematic reviews, January 2010.
- Protocol Development for a Cochrane Review, Dublin, 2009.
- Fellow of Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery, RCSI, 2008.
- Statistics in Clinical Trials, University of York, 2005.
- Clinical Trials Management, University of York, 2004.
- Introduction to ICH GCP, Scope Education Services, 2003.
- Advanced ICH GCP, Scope Education Services, 2003.
- Introduction to Research, University of Ulster, May 2002.
- Action Learning Management Development Programme, North Western Health Board and Brighton University, 2002.
- Training for Trainers, I.P.A 2000.
- Diploma in Physiology, Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery, RCSI, 1992.
- Diploma in Anatomy, Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery, RCSI, 1991.
- Registered with An Bord Altranais. Certificate in general nursing (honours) 1984.
Previous employments & professional experience
- October 2007 - Present: Research Co-ordinator / Lecturer/ Programme Director
- Centre for Nursing and Midwifery Research, Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery, RCSI
- October 2004 –September 2007: HRB Research, fellow – clinical nursing and midwifery, Health Research Board of Ireland and Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery, RCSI
- June 1998 – October 2004: Clinical Nurse Specialist, Tissue Viability, Sligo General Hospital
- June 1984 – November 1986, Feb 1988 – October 1990, April 1993 – May 1998:
- Staff nurse, Sligo General Hospital
- Nov 1990 – March 1993: Clinical tutor, School of Nursing, Sligo General Hospital
- Nov 1986 – Dec 1987: Staff Nurse, Chandler General Hospital, Savannah, GA, USA
- 1981 – 1984: Student Nurse, Sligo General Hospital
Debridement of Venous leg ulcers – a Cochrane Review. Principal Investigator
International survey of current practice in management of wound malodour. Principal Investigator.
Epidemiology of lymphoedema in Ireland. Co- Principal investigator.
Developing guidelines and education tools for management of malignant fungating wounds in palliative care. Co-investigator.
Mapping of wound pH in chronic wounds. Principal Investigator.
Economic Burden of Wound care in Ireland. Chief Investigator.
European Study of Violence Management in Mental Health Services. Investigator.
Evaluation of an e-portfolio in nursing and midwifery education. Investigator.
Evaluation of blended learning in nursing and midwifery education. Investigator.
Evaluation of the role of the CNS in cancer care. Chief Investigator.
Describing the role of the nurse in radiation oncology. Chief Investigator.
HRB Funded National study of day surgery in Ireland. Chief investigator.
An international e-Delphi study to determine the research and education priorities in wound management and tissue repair.
Manuka honey vs Hydrogel, an open label multicentre randomised controlled trial to compare desloughing efficacy and healing outcomes in venous ulceration.
Monitoring of changes in surface pH, size and activity levels of MMP-2 and MMP-9 in chronic wounds when a honey dressing was used.
Acetate tracing vs digital planimetry in assessment of wound size.
Inter-rater reliability of wound bed assessment.
The role of audit in pressure ulcer monitoring in the acute hospital setting.
- Journal of Clinical Nursing
- International Wound Journal
- BMC Dermatology
- BMC Alternative and Complimentary Therapy
- Journal of Wound Care
- Evidence Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine.
- Evidence Based Nursing.
- Japan Journal of Nursing Science.
- Wounds UK.
- McMaster University on-line rating of evidence.
- Editorial board advisory member for Wounds UK.
- Editorial board advisory member for Journal of Wound Care.
Research Grant Reviewer:
- British Skin Foundation, 2011
- Technology Foundation STW, Dutch funding agency for academic research in the field of applied sciences. Confidential grant reviews.
- German Health Research Programme; German Federal Ministry of Education and Research. confidential research grant reviews.
- Wound Management Association of Ireland. Grant applications.
- Grant reviewer for FP7 EU grant scheme.
- Over €600,000 research grant funding.
- October 2011. Winner Brendan Devlin Prize, Waterford October Surgical Meeting (team award).
- June 2008. Excellence in Research – Highly Commended Award, Wounds UK.
- October 2007.Manuka honey vs Hydrogel a randomised controlled trial. Prize winner at National Conference of Wound Management Association of Ireland bi-annual conference.
- April 2007. Highly commended. Comparative study of acetate tracings and digital planimetry in wound measurement. Research Day, RCSI.
- June 2007.Innovation in clinical practice – Highly Commended Award, Wounds UK.
- May 2004. Health Research Board Clinical Fellowship in Nursing and Midwifery
- April 2004. Excellence in Practice, Education, Research and Management Awards, Nursing and Midwifery Practice Development Unit, NWHB.
- September 2003. Smith + Nephew education bursary.
- May 2003. Research grant from European Wound Management Association.
- February 2002. Research seedling grant from Research and Education Foundation, Sligo General Hospital.
- Council member of International Wound Infection Institute.
- Member of Department of Health National steering group for Key Performance Indicators for nursing practice.
- National Chairperson of HSE Procurement Programme for wound management products
- International working group to develop guidelines for management of malignant fungating lesions [supported by European Oncology Nurses Association].
- Member of National surgical nursing advisory group.
- Currently national treasurer of Wound Management Association of Ireland.
- President Wound Management Association of Ireland, 2007-2011.
- Treasurer for Western region of Wound Management Association of Ireland.
- Atlantic Accord Diabetes Research Group.
- National Council for Nursing and Midwifery, Irish Nursing Minimum Data set project team member
- Member of Cochrane Wounds Group.
- Co-operating organisations board member of European Wound Management Association 2007-2011
- Member of Tissue Viability Nurses Association of Ireland
- RCSI Wounds Research Group.
- Lead researcher and member of HSE National Wound Management Guidelines Group.
- Best Practice Statements in wound care group in association with Wounds UK.
- Gethin, G. (2012) Understanding the inflammatory process in wound healing. British Journal of Community Nursing, March, 17-22.
- Gethin, G., Byrne, D., Tierney, S., Strapp, H. and Cowman, S. (2012) Prevalence of lymphoedema and quality of life among patients attending a hospital-based wound management and vascular clinic, International Wound Journal, 9(2), 120-125.
- Cowman, S., Gethin, G., Clarke, E., Moore, Z., Craig, G., Jordan – O’Brien, J., McLain, N. & Strapp, H. (2012) An International eDelphi study identifying the research and education priorities in wound management and tissue repair Journal of Clinical Nursing 21(3), 344-353].
- Watson, C. & Gethin, G. (2012) Five years of prescribing powers, World of Irish Nursing and Midwifery, 20(2), 24-25.
- Gethin, G. (2011) Could wound pH provide a marker of wound status? Journal of Wound Care and WMAI supplement, September.
- Gethin, G. (2011) Management of malodour in palliative care. British Journal of Community Nursing, [September], S28-S36.
- Gethin, G. (2011) The Role of Antiseptics in Pressure Ulcer Management, Nursing Standard , 26(7) 53-60.
- Gethin, G. (2011) Clinical Application of Collagen and Protease Modulating Dressings, Journal of Wound Technology, 13, 10-14.
- Gethin, G., McIntosh, C. & Cundell, J. (2011) Dissemination of wound management guidelines – a national survey, Journal of Wound Care, 20(7),
- Higgins, A., Gethin, G. & Lynch, M. (2011) Prevalence of MRSA colonisation among at risk patients at admission to an Irish hospital: 2007 to 2009 inclusive International Journal of Infection Control, 7(1), 1-6.
- Higgins, A., Lynch, M. & Gethin, G. (2010) Can 'search and destroy' reduce nosocomial methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in an Irish hospital? Journal of Hospital Infection, 75(2), 120-123.
- Gethin, G. (2010) Managing wound malodour in palliative care, Wounds UK Palliative Wound Care Supplement, June, 12-15.
- Gethin, G. (2010) Managing malodour in palliative care wounds in primary care, Journal of Irish Practice Nurse [in press].
- Gethin, G. (2010) Nutrition and wound healing in the older adult, Nursing in the Community [in press].
- Gethin, G. (2010) Disseminating wound care guidelines: lessons from the literature, British Journal of Community Nursing, 15, S32-37.
- Gethin, G., Cowman, S. & Kolbach, D. (2010) Debridement for venous leg ulcers (Protocol), Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2010, 7 Art. No.: CD008599. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD008599.
- Cowman, S., Gethin, G., Mulligan, E., Ryan, K. & Meshkat, B.(2010) National survey of the provision of day surgery across public and private hospitals in Ireland, Irish Journal Of Medical Science, 179(4), 493-499.
- Sherlock, O., Dolan, A., Athman, R., Power, A., Gethin, G., Cowman, S. & Humphreys, H.(2010) Comparison of the antimicrobial activity of Ulmo honey from Chile and Manuka honey against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, Escherichia coli and Pseudomonas aeruginosa, BMC Complementary And Alternative Medicine, 10, 47.
- Gethin, G. (2010) National Wound Management Guidelines, NCNM Review, 33, 10-11.
- Gethin, G. (2010) The role of antiseptics in Pressure Ulcer Management, Journal of Wound Technology, 7(1), 12-15.
- White R, Cutting K, Ousey K, et al. Randomized controlled trial and cost-effectiveness analysis of silver-donating antimicrobial dressings for venous leg ulcers (VULCAN trial) (Br J Surg 2009; 96: 1147-1156). Br J Surg. Mar 2010;97(3):459-460; author reply 460.
- Gethin, G. (2010) Identifying the role of antiseptics in pressure ulcer management, Nursing Standard, [in press].
- Gethin, G. (2010) Understanding Research: part 5 – Mixed research approaches, Wounds UK, 6(1), 126-128.
- Gethin, G. & Clune Mulvaney, C. (2009) Understanding Research: part 4 – Qualitative research, Wounds UK, 5(4) 111-116.
- Gethin, G. (2009) Understanding Research: part 3 – Randomised controlled trials, Wounds UK, 5(2) 86-90.
- Gethin G and Cowman S. (2009) Manuka Honey vs. Hydrogel – a prospective, open label, multicentre, randomised controlled trial to compare desloughing efficacy and healing outcomes in venous ulcers. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 18(3), 466-474.
- Gethin, G. (2009) Occlusive dressings and gauze did not differ for healing open wounds in surgical patients. Evidence Based Nursing, 12(2) 52.
- Gethin, G. (2009) Understanding Research: part 2 – terminology, Wounds UK, 5(1) 88-89.
- Gethin, G. (2009) Can clinical guidelines advance wound management practice? World of Irish Nursing,
- Gethin, G. (2009) Use of the AGREE tool will improve guideline implementation. Journal of Wound Care, 18(1), 40.
- Gethin, G. (2008) Demystifying Research – understanding research design. (First of a five part series) in Wounds UK 4(4), 140-141.
- Gethin, G (2008) Editorial: A vision for Better Patient Outcomes, Wound News Ireland, kcimedical.newsweaver.ie.
- Gethin, G. (2008) Efficacy of honey as a debriding and pH modulating agent. Book Chapter in: Honey: a modern wound management product, Volume II. White, R., Cooper, R. and Molan, P. eds., Wounds UK, Aberdeen.
- Gethin, G. (2008) Honey in wound care: understanding the evidence. Nursing in Practice, September 2-4. Translated for Dutch Journal of Wound Care – December 2008.
- Gethin, G. (2008) Commentary on: Bardy, J., Slevin NJ, Mais KL and Molasoitis A, A systematic Review of honey uses and its potential value within oncology care (2008),17, 2604-2623. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 17, 2661-2666.
- Gethin, G. (2008) Long Road Ahead: Reflections on 10 years of wound care in Ireland. World of Irish Nursing. Community Nursing. September.
- Gethin, G. (2008) The Role of Surface pH Monitoring in Wound Healing: Overview of Current Evidence Base, Vascular, 16 (S2), S123.
- Gethin, G. (2008) Efficacy of honey as a desloughing agent: overview of current evidence. EWMA Journal, 8(2), 31-35.
- Gethin G, Cowman S. (2008) Bacteriological changes in sloughy venous leg ulcers treated with Manuka honey or hydrogel: an RCT. Journal of Wound Care, 17(6), 241-247.
- Gethin G, Cowman S. and Conroy R. (2008) The Impact of Manuka Honey Dressings on Surface pH of Chronic Wounds. International Wound Journal. 5(2) 185-195.
- Gethin G. (2007) Understanding the significance of surface pH in chronic wounds. Wounds UK.;3(1):33-38.
- Gethin G, Cowman S. (2007) Wound measurement: contribution to practice. EWMA Journal. January 7(1):26-28.
- Gethin G. (2007) Understanding wound pH. World of Irish Nursing - Enhancing Clinical Practice Supplement. 15(8):9-12.
- Gethin G. (2007) Healing Honey. World of Irish Nursing and Midwifery, 15(10), 22-23.
- Gethin G. (2007) Honey: a modern wound management product (Book Review). WOUNDS a compendium of clinical research and practice. September 19(9):A17.
- Gethin, G. (2007) Are we all properly qualified to prescribe wound care: commentary. Wounds UK, 3(4), 154.
- Gethin G. (2006) The importance of continuous wound measuring. Wounds UK. 2(2):60-68.
- Gethin G, Cowman S. (2006) Wound measurement comparing the use of acetate tracings and VisitrakTM digital planimetry. Journal of Clinical Nursing. 15:422-427.
- Gethin G, Cowman S. (2005) Case series of use of Manuka honey in leg ulceration. International Wound Journal. 2(1):10-15.
- Gethin, G., Jordan O-Brien, J and Moore, Z. (2005) Estimating the costs of pressure area management based on a survey of ulcer care in one Irish hospital, Journal of Wound Care, 14(4), 162-165.
- Gethin G. (2005) Can honey contribute to healing chronic wounds? Irish Practice Nurse. 7(3):14-18.
- Gethin G. (2005) Evidence base of wound measurement. Evidence based practice, World of Irish Nursing. 13(8):S 6-8.
- Gethin G. (2004) Is there enough clinical evidence to use honey to manage wounds? Journal of Wound Care. 13(7):275-278.
- Gethin G. (2002) Patient compliance and chronic wounds. Nursing Times, 98(14), 60-62.
The EWMA-GNEAUPP conference is coming closer and we look...
The Annual General Meeting (AGM) of the European Wound Management...
After the deadline for abstract submissions to the EWMA-GNEAUPP...
VWHA/EWMA Symposium on Veterinary Wound Management and Antimicrobial...